SENIOR BULLETIN October 2014
Hello seniors!! I will occasionally be sending out newsletters to update you on upcoming events and important things that you need to know! When you receive this, please take a couple minutes to review it!
Juggling two schools can be hard so I am always encouraging my seniors to check in with their home schools!!! Senior year is full of deadlines and I do not want you missing them. Throughout this year you will be ordering yearbooks, cap and gowns, prom tickets, have prom promenade, graduation practice and a lot of other senior activities. Please stay in the know!! I will help with this as much as possible but please check in with your home school counselor periodically to assure you do not miss anything!
Continuing your education???
Senior year goes by fast so you want to make sure you have a plan! A couple things to keep in mind if you are planning on attending a four year college, community college or technical school:
· Review application process for all the schools you are interested in.
· Review admission requirements.
· If possible visit the school on a private tour or attend an open house.
· Look to see if there are scholarships offered by the school! (Remember the most money students normally get for their schooling is from the school itself!)
· BE AWARE OF DEADLINES!!!
Tours and Open Houses:
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology- Fall Bulldog Days Open House- Saturday, October 25th. Register at www.stevenscollege.edu/openhouse.
Mercy Hospital School of Nursing- Open Houses, Saturday, November 1st and December 6th at 10:30. To register call 412-232-7940.
Pennsylvania College of Technology- Open House- Sunday, October 26th from 9-3:00pm. Register online at www.PCT.edu.
Bidwell Training Center- BTC has programs in chemical laboratory technician, culinary, horticulture technology and medical records. They have information sessions every Monday and Wednesday at 9:00 am. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment you can call 1-800-516-1800 x150.
Clarion University- Preview Days: Oct. 10th, 13th, 24th, 31st and November 7th and 10th
Rosedale Technical College- Open House- Saturday, November 8th from 9:30-1:00. Register by calling or texting Sean Barrett at 412-855-9956.
Pittsburgh Technical Institute- Open House- November 15th- 10:30am. RSVP online at www.pti.edu.
Holy Family University- Open House- November 16th Register online at holyfamily.edu/openhouse
University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg- Discovery Day- October 11th.
IUP Culinary Tours- Visit IUP and attend a Culinary Buffet tour and learn about their food majors: Culinary Arts, Baking and Pastry, Culinary Dietetics, Culinary and Hospitality Management and Culinary and Nutrition. Register at www.iup.edu/admissions/culinary; Dates are October 18th, 27th, November 14th, 15th and December 12th.
Robert Morris University- Fall Open House- Saturday, October 25th and November 15th. Register online at www.rmu.edu/openhouse or call 800-762-0097.
Ohio Technical College- Open House Saturday, October 25th from 9:00-2:00. Registration is required by calling 1-800-322-7000 x145.
Western Pennsylvania Hospital School of Nursing- Information Session- Saturday, November 15th and Jan 10th at 9:00am. To register call 412-578-5538.
The ASVAB will be given on our campus on April 21st and 22nd. It will be broken down into two days. I will have sign ups closer to the test!
Upcoming Test Dates and Deadlines!
Test Date Registration Deadline
November 8th October 9th
December 6th November 6th
January 24th December 29
Test Date Registration Deadline
December 13th November 7th
February 7th January 9th
Some tips when looking for scholarships!
1. Always check for scholarships that are available for the schools you are hoping to attend. Students usually receive the most scholarship money from the school itself! So you not only need to be aware of admission information, you should be checking scholarships and deadlines for scholarships that are offered from your school!
2. Register through www.fastweb.com. This is a FREE scholarship search engine. It will email you scholarships that match your profile!
3. Check in with your home school! Applying for local scholarships puts you in competition with the smallest pool of students! Check your home school’s guidance webpage or stop in to your home school guidance office for the latest list of available scholarships.
4. Check with your parent’s employers or any other local organization that you or your family are involved in. (Church, Rotary, your employer, local social clubs)
5. Read my emails! I will be emailing out scholarship information as I get them! If you did not give me an email, please get an email from a parent and stop in and give it to me so you can be on the email list!
How can you earn FREE college credits??? By being eligible through SOAR (Students Occupationally and Academically Ready)! If you qualify you can earn college credits just by being in your program here at Forbes Road CTC!
You can qualify by:
1. Maintaining a 2.5 average in your technical program
2. Achieve competent or advanced on NOCTI
3. Complete competency task list at the proficient level or above
4. Earn industry certifications where available
5. Successfully apply for the college of your choice that offers your Program of Study.
To find a list of schools that will accept work from your program for credits visit www.collegetransfer.net. Go to the page for “high school students” then click on the “Search for PA Bureau of CTE SOAR Programs”. This information can also be found by going to www.gettingthemthere.com! In addition to these state-wide articulations (when college accept your CTE work for credits) there are local articulations that Forbes Road CTC has agreements with! Ask your instructor!
Forbes Road CTC 5K
Its back!!! The Forbes Road CTC 5K is the big fundraiser for the Forbes Road Scholarship. Let me give you a hint…you get bonus points on your Forbes Road Scholarship Application if you attend or help with this event…J
Save the Date:
Saturday, April 11th
Boyce Park, Monroeville